Land of A Thousand Hills

Land of A Thousand Hills

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Zambia and Beyond...

School ended on June 20th and on June 27th, I set off to South Africa to meet one of my best friends from high school Drew Myers and his girlfriend Jackie. We spent a few days in South Africa seeing penguins, whales, sharking diving (which I was sea sick for the whole time), the ocean, and so much more. South Africa is a beautiful place. It is also ridiculously cold right now because it is their winter. (South African Coast Line) I called South Africa Little America because being there did not feel like Africa. It felt more like I was in the U.S. then in Africa still. After South Africa we went to Zambia for a few days. While in Zambia we took a seven hour bus ride to Victoria Falls. The falls are unbelievable!
(Victoria Falls) They are so powerful and yet so beautiful all at the same time. They are so powerful that you can see mists from miles away and while you are there you get soaked from the mist that comes up. Victoria Falls is about a mile and 1/4 wide. You can only see the 1/4 of it on the Zambia side, while the rest lies on the Zimbabwean side. So even though you feel like you get to see so much of the falls, really you are only getting to see a small portion.
(Drew, Jackie, and I... love them!) Unfortunately because of the political instability, not many people get to see Victoria Falls completely, except if you are lucky and get to go on what is called the Micro-light! Thankfully we did get a chance to do that. It was honestly probably the best part of the entire trip. We were high up in the sky flying over the falls. We could see hippos, crocodiles, and elephants all from above.
(My friend Vaughn from Zambikes) My German born driver even let me drive. It was a blast. After that we headed back to Lusaka where I met up with my friends from Zambikes. They broke us in by eating traditional food with our hands. It was great! I also got to meet many of the Zambians working for them who are helping to build their bicycle work shop. It was great to be able to see them and see what they are doing and how they are doing it.

No comments: