Land of A Thousand Hills

Land of A Thousand Hills

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Rwanda Goes English!

So, just the other day it was announced and in the newspapers that Rwandan schools have FINALLY gone English, meaning they are no longer going to teach in French, but require all schools to teach in English! This may not sound like a big deal, but i promise you it is!! For people in Rwanda, only knowing French and Kinyrwanda can be somewhat paralyzing when it comes to communicating with the rest of the world. For instance, if someone were to go just north to Uganda and/or Kenya where almost all nationals speak English fluently, already they struggle to communicate! The language of business, science, and the rest of the world is English, not french. In my opinion, this is the best thing for Rwanda. I am so excited to see the country continue to take steps towards development and prosperity. It is always one step at a time and for Rwanda this decision is a big one and will really turn the country around when it happens!! I am so excited!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am a teacher in Kenya currently working in a Christian school with the home office based in USA. I really want to go and teach any christian school in rwanda but i dont know where to start. I believe the experience i have gained in my school will help me to turn other young boys and girls to be godly contributorsin their own counrty. How can you advice me? My email is jimmychira@yahoo.com and my cell phone number is +254765240