Land of A Thousand Hills

Land of A Thousand Hills

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Six Bags, Eighteen Hours, and a Few Hundred Dollars Later...

Six bags, eighteen hours, and a few hundred dollars later all donated supplies, soccer balls, pumps, goalie gloves, cleats, socks, jerseys, baby clothes, food, donated laptops, books, shoes, school supplies, and more made it to Rwanda. I think I packed a half a bag for me and the rest was all the donations people have so generously given to me to take back to Rwanda. It was amazing what people donated. A wonderful lady named Virginia donated an entire bag of baby clothes that went to my friend Grace at Amahorro Imani for the women she knows and works with, as well as two other girls I know who have new born babies. Carroll Indoor Sports Center donated TWO bags full of used soccer balls. Imagine deflating all of them!! As well as at least twenty NEW MLS jerseys. Pictured the kids faces when they saw them!!! Most of the balls and jerseys either went to my friend and fellow soccer coach Kyle or George who runs the Saturday soccer camp for "street" kids and youth. There was even about twelve soccer balls that were color coed to share the gospel donated by a Myersville Baptist local youth group that also went to George and Kyle to use for evangelism. I think overall I brought back with me at least FORTY SOCCER BALLS!!! All of which will go to good use. In my opinion, it is just so worth it to bring all of that stuff back. I guess, one of my favorite parts about doing what I do, is being the person who gets to hand that stuff out or get the right equipment to the person who needs it most. I often will pray over the stuff and ask God who I should give it to, for him to place a person on my heart. I also believe that bringing all of that back with my as luggage is the absolute cheapest way to do it. My mom can tell you... mailing packages is expensive. The only other option would be to send a container, which often takes six months and is an absolute headache to try to get out of customs! Also, don't forget the hefty taxes they throw on top of the already $6,000 container you paid for. So, in my opinion, spending a week packing, hulling, and paying for all of the luggage that I brought back with me is just worth it. It is so worth it to see people's faces and to know the donations are going to the people who need it most. Thank you for being apart of making that happen!!!!

No comments: